MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Night Shift

Night Shift - Kim Fielding 3.5 stars. Nice little vampire tale about ex-con Aiden struggling to find purpose and avoid temptation as a free man. He has been a loner all his life and his parole officer is giving him tasks with a view to filling his life with relationships and meaning. He meets the intense and beautiful night security guard, Luka, who seems to be very attracted to him.I would read a parking ticket if it had the word vampire on it. But strangely in this novella it was the portrayal of human Aiden that really appealed to me. I know nothing about prisoners, rehabilitation and recidivism but the little glimpse this novel gave me into that life was illuminating and poignant. I also love the visits Aiden had with his PO and the lovely advice she gave him. Aiden's stoic battle reminded me a little of [b:Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela|10150597|Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela|Felicia Watson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1294451590s/10150597.jpg|15048942] and makes me want to read WTAMTM again. Luka being a vampire didn't really feel necessary. I kind of wish this had been longer and made into a contemporary (not paranormal) novel because Aiden Finn deserved it.