MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Caleo (Leech, #1) - James   Crawford Beautiful cover but it's a shame what's inside doesn't live up to it. This book is under-developed and definitely not ready for publication. The editing is appalling, especially the first 40%. Incorrect sentence structure, mixing of tenses and various other grammatical errors. It was like a rough first draft. It's a paranormal tale that has a relatively interesting premise, Leeches (humans with unique powers who feed off normal humans) are in a battle with two opposing forces. Caleo is the young hero who discovers he is the Angel (ruler and most powerful of all Leeches). There is the faintest hint of an attraction between Caleo and one other character but this story is not a romance. Unfortunately there is a heavy reliance on mis-communication as the plot device. On many, many occasions the main protagonists withhold crucial information for absolutely no reason except as a way for the author to cause conflict. There is also plenty of TSTL behaviour. The book ends with a big cliffhanger and no resolution.I was astonished by the high average rating but I see that these are coming from fellow authors in an Indie Support Group here on Goodreads. For all of them that I could see this is their only foray into an m/m novel. If this is what they consider a 5 star read I would have serious reservations about reading one of their books.I also noticed that an m/m review blog rated the book 4 stars. There has been a proliferation of m/m romance review blogs recently. A lot of them seem to be giving high ratings in exchange for free books and attention for their blog. I think all of this is a lesson for new readers on Goodreads about the importance of finding 'friends' whose reviews are trustworthy and reflect your tastes. I am returning this book to Amazon for a refund.