MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder

Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder - Nicole Castle 4.5 stars. Amazing, twisted romance between a cold, murderous assassin and a damaged teen. 16 year old Vincent is living on the streets doing what he has to to survive. He is stabbed one night during a robbery job for which he was to be paid $50. He turns on his attacker then hikes for hours in the snow to get back to his sleazy 'mentor' Charlie. At Charlie's door he collapses into the arms of the most beautiful man he's ever seen, Frank.Frank is an assassin and Charlie is his handler. There is an immediate connection between Frank and Vincent and Frank takes him under his wing, teaching him the business of murder, and hiding him from Charlie who now wants him dead. Their love affair is slow to develop, intense and obsessive. When they do get around to it the sex scenes are erotic and rough. Vincent is no shrinking violet twink. Both characters are amoral and violent but so intriguing and appealing. The story is rich with detail and character development. The plot is suspenseful. Unlike other m/m assassin romances, the author doesn't shy away from the murder scenes. Strangulations and stabbings are described fairly explicitly although briefly enough that I wasn't turned off. Frank's 'marks' are not all bad people either. So at times I felt quite sorry for them and guilty that I was enjoying the book so much. The final HEA felt a tad too easy/sweet for this story but I suspect this is just a temporary pause in this couple's journey.This book would really appeal to fans of [b:Stockholm Syndrome|9788080|Stockholm Syndrome (Stockholm Syndrome, #1)|Richard Rider|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1291018502s/9788080.jpg|14678106], [b:Angel and the Assassin|9258350|Angel and the Assassin (Angel and the Assassin, #1)|Fyn Alexander|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1283892873s/9258350.jpg|14139035] and [b:Natural Born Killers|111524|Natural Born Killers|Leslie Stout|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1171651461s/111524.jpg|107410] and any of those darker m/m romances. It's another excellent example of self-publishing in the m/m genre and it's fantastic value at only $3.99 for 340 pages.