MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Show and Tell

Show and Tell - Kate McMurray 3.5 stars. I feel guilty not clicking on the four star rating for this book but the past-lives plot is not one that really excites me and I use the 4 and 5 stars to highlight books I want to reread. The theme actually reminds me a lot of one of the author's previous books [b:Across the East River Bridge|12642982|Across the East River Bridge |Kate McMurray|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1316308312s/12642982.jpg|17755376]. It's been ages since I read the latter but I think the supernatural plot elements were much tighter and more interesting to read in this book [b:Show and Tell|17145146|Show and Tell|Kate McMurray|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1355787256s/17145146.jpg|23549511]. I was really impressed that the flashbacks to past lives were so seamlessly integrated without jarring the flow of the main story of Mal and Dan (which can often happens in these flashback scenarios). The MC's falling in love is fore-destined and inevitable and it's very sweet but it felt a little too insta-love and lacked the romantic and sexual tension that I prefer. Even Dan being reluctant to commit as quickly as Mal didn't heighten the suspense for me. The denouement where the evil goddess is defeated felt a little unresolved because the goddess was not defeated permanently. So I found it to be a smart, interesting read but lacks some romantic intensity.