MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Know Not Why: A Novel

Know Not Why - Hannah  Johnson 4.5 stars. Charming story about Howie a 22 year old who puts his studies on hold to stay home and keep his mum company after the death of his father. He gets a dead-end job at an Arts & Crafts store and the people there slowly but surely change his life for the better.This story is told in the first person POV of Howie. I loved his voice. He's kind of cool in an obnoxious way. He's very confused about girls. And he's full of funny one-liners and slang that are totally in keeping with his character. His attraction to straight-laced boss Artie is delicious and very romantic. I want to write their names, 'Howie 4 Artie' and draw a big heart around it! It's the kind of story that makes you laugh out loud one minute and tugs on your heartstrings the next. But the sad bits are just as wonderful as the happy bits. And such a strong supporting cast! Everyone goes through some personal growth and no-one is quite what you expect them to be. Especially Kirsty and Emily! There is no sex in the book but there is plenty of warmth and romance to make up for it.This book ends with really heart-warming Christmas and New Year scenes and I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a funny, romantic and poignant novel to read over the holiday season. I got it from Amazon for only $5.99. Great bargain!