MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Dark Space

Dark Space - Lisa Henry 4.5 stars. I love Scifi and Scifi Romance so this book is a perfect fit for me. The story is told in the first person POV of Garrett, an underprivileged, uneducated young man conscripted at the age of 16 to work on the deep space station, Defender Three. He hates space, the blackness of it, the claustrophobia, and the vulnerability; "[He] suddenly felt how very, very far away from home we all were, spinning alone in the big black like a silver lure on a line". He is sick with worry about his dying father and the young sister he was forced to abandon. Garrett's 10 year sentence is interrupted by the reappearance of the famous hero and pilot, Cameron Rushton, who was taken by Earth's mortal enemy, the Faceless, several years earlier. The Faceless are an omnipotent, ghastly race who have destroyed vast parts of Earth and her space stations with terrifying ease. Cameron returns in an unexpected and shocking way and the circumstances of his re-animation create a physical connection between him and Garrett. Cam is treated with deep suspicion by the Station's superior officers and this fear and contempt bleeds over into their treatment of Garrett. Garrett is also frightened and revolted by their connection but slowly the bond between himself and Cameron turns into something stronger. However the return of Cam is a ploy by the Faceless that will have far-reaching effects on their world. The 1st person POV works well here because Garrett is such a vivid character. It's impossible not to empathise with him. What comes across so strongly is his extreme youth (he's 19 at the time this story takes place), the unfairness of his situation, and the fear and confusion he can't quite hide no matter how brave he tries to be. I found myself desperately hoping for a HEA for him against what seemed to be impossible odds. The only downside to this technique is that it makes Cam's feelings and motivations less clear.The plot is suspenseful and gripping. I couldn't put the book down and actually slowed my usual fast reading habit so I wouldn't miss anything. Even if you don't usually read Scifi, I can still recommend this. It's like a thriller set in space. With sex! It's great. I will definitely be checking out other stories by this author.