MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Review: Archangel's Legion

Archangel's Legion - Nalini Singh

This is book 6 in the series but book 4 in the ongoing saga of the Archangel of New York, Raphael, and his hunter angel consort, Elena. I really enjoy this series and the standout of this book is the way both Raphael and Elena are growing in their powers and defending their territory against foes and forging alliances. The 'Legion' of the title is a good addition without seeming too deus ex machina.

Things I didn't like so much.

Singh's sex scenes. There are too many of them. This is an Urban Fantasy series not Paranormal Romance and stopping every couple of chapters to get it on diminished the fantasy storyline. I also find her sex scenes too flowery and old fashioned. Apart from Raphael saying 'fuck' occasionally I could be reading an old Kathleen Woodiwiss or Johanna Lindsey romance. And what's with all the biting, nipping and gnawing of necks, collar bones and chins? I think the author is stuck with those shifters in her Psy/Changeling series. All the chomping and mastication is NOT sexy!

The Elena/Jeffrey backstory.

I'm getting bored with this. Elena is a powerful Hunter/Angel and the way her father Jeffrey turns her into a snivelling, impotent, self-doubting, crybaby really annoys me. The continued flashbacks to her mother dying are repetitive and add nothing new. This storyline has gone on long enough and at this point it just feels like filler. Elena needs to go down to Bunnings, buy some timber, build a bridge, and GET OVER IT already.

It's not that I didn't like it. I do. But the 'Cascade' mythology is very derivative of Kresley Cole's IAD series, 'Accession' mythology.

Why was the 'Tasha' character introduced then ignored? I'm guessing she will cause some problems for Raphael and Elena in the future? Same with Michaela. What was with the

'baby' thing

(show spoiler)

?

I really felt a lot of the things happening in this book were disjointed setups for future stories and were out of sync with the overall plot. There were lots of extra characters showing up just for the sake of it and slowing things down.

Singh has a writing habit of putting long, long, dialogue tags in odd places in her dialogue sentences. It's like there's a rhythm to a spoken sentence and a natural place where a dialogue tag would go but Singh deliberately puts it a little before or a little after where it should be just for effect. It's an effect that has always annoyed me. Luckily it's not as noticeable this time around as in the last two books of hers that I read.

Anyway it sounds like I have a lot of doubts about the book but in fact it's still very enjoyable and I'm definitely a fan.