MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Review: World After

World After  - Susan Ee

With this book the Angelfall series takes a serious step into the Horror genre! The story starts exactly where Angelfall ends and for most of the story Penryn and Raffe are apart. Penryn, Paige and their Mum are first holed up with the resistance but the animosity towards Paige soon has them on the move again and they are separated, captured, escape and continually search for each other, all the while facing horrible adversity.

The thing that really gets me about this series is the incredibly surprising and shocking things the author thinks up to torment her characters. The situation in Alcatraz is frightening. I actually felt quite panicked while I was reading it. The scorpion creatures are abominations. Paige is tragic and the fact that this terrible thing has been done to a helpless 7 year old girl is one of the reasons I am so enthralled by the story. SHE HAS TO BE SAVED! I can't stop reading until Penryn finds a way to save her.

Raffe, when he arrives, is a breath of fresh air. I'm almost as relieved as Penryn that he turns up. Possibly the only quibble I have with the story is that he sometimes sounds like a cocky teenage boy instead of the Archangel Raphael. His 'voice' is really the only nod towards YA.

More of the Angels' society and the reasons for the invasion become clear. Penryn kicks some serious ass! As per usual in the final chapter there are SHOCKING surprises! I felt like my head was spinning the whole time I read this novel. What! WHAT! WHAAAATT?!?!?

I have no idea how Penryn, Raffe, Paige and Mum are going to survive let alone succeed. I can't wait till book 3. I've heard a rumour there are 5 books in the series. Go Susan Ee! Quit your day job. Forget about your kids. Just keep writing!!!