MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Review: These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars - Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner

I picked up this book because I love Scifi Romance, not because I'm a fan of YA. There has been a lot of buzz about this story, no doubt helped along by the beautiful cover. But although I enjoyed it, it didn't quite live up to the hype.

The vast bulk of the narrative is made up of Tarver, an 18 year old, highly decorated soldier, and Lilac, the spoiled and protected 16 year old daughter of the universe's wealthiest man, walking around looking for safety after crashing on a strange planet. Apart from one wildcat which is quickly dispatched, not a lot happens. But there is an interesting twist towards the end which, although hard to believe, still makes me want to find out what happens in book 2.

The lack of action was a problem for me. The most exciting part of the book is the time on board the Icarus and its subsequent breakup. I wish there was a lot more of that.

The typical YA-type romance didn't give me the 'feels'. The two MC's are instantly attracted when they meet but Lilac does a complete 180° because of her fear of her over-protective father and decides to keep Tarver at a distance by acting snobbishly and petulantly. He pretends to hate her back. These juvenile responses just reminded me why I prefer to read about older characters. They do come around eventually and work together to survive.

So not a bad book, just not the perfect book for me.