MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Review: The Blade Itself

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

I picked this up because it was recommended as an example of the subgenre of fantasy called 'grimdark'. It is an amazing book. I have rarely seen characters leap off the page so vividly. It is earthy, physical and so very very funny. If I could describe the writing I would say it was the bastard love child of Terry Pratchett and George Arr Arr Martin. But really it's quite unique.

However...

I have watched these morally ambiguous characters (quite dastardly in many ways) grow and be revealed in such a way that I have developed a lot of affection and hope for them. I love the redemptive process that takes place with anti-heroes. It's one of my favourite writing tropes. Unfortunately when looking at reviews of the other two books in the series I understand now why this genre is called grim.

At the end the characters revert to their former selves, even worse in some cases. Basically the ending of the series is going to suck for me since I've fallen in love with these people. I am a bit of a HEA person I must admit.

(show spoiler)

So at this stage I'm not going to go on to books 2 and 3 but that may change in the future because I can't stop thinking about this story. I'm kind of obsessing actually.

I much prefer the covers on the kindle editions:. This is the Northern savage, Logen Ninefingers: