MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Reading update for Broken Homes

Broken Homes - Ben Aaronovitch

8% - Great to be back in Peter Grant's London.

49% - Quieter so far than other books in the series but it's nice to have a breather after the previous frenetic pace. Heaps of police procedural stuff but this author does it really well with interesting and useful expositions that are woven into the plot. Peter is trying to drag his very old Superintendent, Nightingale into 21st century policing methods and I love it.

I have a theory about Lesley. At least it's a theory about where her character could go in the overall series arch. She is such a tragic figure. The author could go the easy way with her and fix her up by some deus ex machina at the end. Or he could use her distress about her terrible disfigurement and the temptation to do something magical to fix it, and send her over to the dark side with the faceless man. Could she really resist him if he promised to restore her looks. I don't think so. Then she would go from being Peter's police partner and best friend (and not attracting his interest - which is a big thing for her cause she has feelings for him), to his nemesis. She would make a great nemesis. She's smarter and more desperate plus there's the poignancy of the whole situation. Any way that's my theory. I have no idea what's going to happen.