MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

2014 A to Z Reading Challenge

Cress - Marissa Meyer Mark Cooper versus America - Lisa Henry, J.A. Rock

I've read more books so far this year than I realised so I can mark off two books at once.

CHALLENGE UPDATE:

'M is for Mother'

Here I'm putting 'Cress' by Marissa Meyer. This is an excellent YA Scifi series that is based on the classic fairytales, Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Snow White. All these books and the tales they are based on have significant maternal themes. Mostly the mother figures are malevolent and cruel and have failed their daughters terribly. In 'Cress', the heroine has an evil Mistress who has imprisoned her in a satellite far above Earth to spy on the Earthly kingdoms. These books keep getting stronger and the last one is due out in 2015. Even if you're not a big fan of YA (I only like the occasional one) this series is still loads of fun for Scifi romance fans.

'X is for XXIV'

Luckily this number fell on a book I also enjoyed. 'Mark Cooper versus America' is an mm romance by two of the most talented authors in that genre. Mark is a displaced Aussie, resentful of the American stepfather who persuaded his mother to move to the US. He is trying to fit into an American college system and his free spirit and hostility make his induction into a fraternity very troublesome.

A is for April (the month in which you read the book)

B is for Bathing Suit (this book takes place at least partly in hot weather months)

C is for Children (Children's book or a book about children)

D is for Doctor (one of the characters) - Seven by Adrienne Wilder. Has a particularly evil Doctor as the bad guy.

E is for Ever (in the title)

F is for Family (book is about a family or family relationships)

G is for Geography (the story takes place in at least two different countries)

H is for Heart (it's a love story)

I is for Ice (the setting is cold - snow, ice, rain)

J is for Jokes (the book is humorous) - The Grendel Affair by Lisa Shearin. Very goofy heroine.

K is for Keyboard (at least one character plays a musical instrument)

L is for Lamp (the book takes place before electricity was discovered)

M is for Mother (one of the characters) - Cress by Marissa Meyer. Evil mother figures abound.

N is for New-to-you author

O is for Out of This World (where the story takes place)

P is for Pilgrims (the story involves moving someplace new)

Q is for Question Mark in the title

R is for Random (close your eyes and pick a book at random from shelves or ereader)

S is for Sequel (the next book in a series you've already read)

T is for Time (the book travels time, moves through time quickly or flashes back)

U is for Urban (set in a city)

V is for Veteran (at least one character is/was a member of a military force)

W is for Wings (Book features Angels, Birds, Dragons or anything with wings)

X is for XXIV (it's the 24th book you read this year) - Mark Cooper Versus America by Lisa Henry and J.A. Rock. An Aussie boy struggles with the American fraternity system.

Y is Year (a book published this year)

Z is for Zoo (there is an animal on the cover)