MandyM

MandyM

Stuff I'm reading... Mostly romance and Scifi/Fantasy.

Review: Bitter Spirits

Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties) - Jenn Bennett

An historical romance set in the Roaring Twenties. Great to see a different time period. It's certainly the kick up the bum that the HR genre needs. It's been mired in Regency times for-EVAH.

My enjoyment of the romance waxed and waned as I read through the book. In the first handful of pages it was all telling no showing as MC's Aida and Winter incessantly ogled each other's bodies with an overdose of insta-lust. I prefer more subtlety when writing about or building up a couple's attraction. Then things settled down and Aida's personality and her dry humour really entertained me. But towards the end she veered off into TSTL territory as she irrationally spurned Winter's help or became strangely incapable of speech when declarations of love would have cleared the air.

There was a supernatural mystery element which was interesting but underdeveloped. At least for my taste anyway because I love paranormal and fantasy stories. This seems to be a series with Winter's brother as the hero next time round. But I must admit I'm a little intrigued by the 'thing' between Winter's younger sister and his devoted right hand man Jo.